Building the VEX to BlueSMiRF connector

Coordinator
Jan 2, 2008 at 9:14 PM
What I did was wire the second serial port (by the IO ports) to the BlueSMiRF.

BlueSMiRF Pin VEX Other
RTS Jumper to CTS
RX TX (Next to last pin in IO Ports)
TX RX (Last pin in IO ports)
GND Ground (Outer pin)
PWR +5V (Middle Pin)
CTS Jumper to RTS

For the connector to the BlueSMiRF, I used a 6 pin header (0.1” spacing) which is fairly standard. To make the connector to the VEX, I bought a ‘dual header’ that I cut to 6 pins (2x3) and wired as described above. You only need 4 conductor cable since only 4 pins are actually used by the modem.

I use serial 2 so that I can still leave the serial programming cable connected for programming and debugging while I sent commands to the robot via port 2. I think with the correct connector, it would work with the programmer port, but I’m not sure whether it is TTL based (like the BLUESMiRF) or off hand what the pin out is of the connector. (I know it’s been posted, Google it if all else fails.)
Apr 26, 2009 at 11:43 PM
Hi,
Could you please demonstrate step by step instructions for creating this module (with images)?
Thanks!
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2009 at 1:11 AM
I just posted a PDF showing the construction on the downloads page.  Nothing that will win any awards, but it does work. 

Note: be careful with the wire on the connector to the controller.  I have a habit of breaking them from time to time and having to resolder them.  You know they got broken when you try to connect and you get communications errors.

Right now, I'm really waiting on the VEX WiFi.  I hope it will be more stable (fewer broken wires) than what I've got.  If (pay cut) I get one, I'll see about updating my code to use it instead so that this hot-wiring won't be necessary.

Share and enjoy (Sirius Cybernetics Corporation...)
Ed
May 18, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Thank you very much. This is great! It helps me a lot. Your program and document are very useful for working with Vex.

Coordinator
May 18, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Glad to hear it.  When I don’t get any feedback I don’t know if people have given up or are just moving on to the next phase.

Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 3:52 PM
To: edharfmann@comcast.net
Subject: Re: Building the VEX to BlueSMiRF connector [VexMsrs:19851]

Thank you very much. This is great! It helps me a lot. Your program and document are very useful for working with Vex.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (VexMsrs@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email VexMsrs@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com