Building C# Code

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM
I'm getting errors when building the C# code. The errors for the most part are of the form:

"The type or namespace name 'VEXHelper' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)"

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2007 at 11:04 PM
Check the references. Delete the reference and then add the reference again. (I've been browsing to the DLL files under bin\services.) I get that when I uninstall RStudio and then reinstall. I'll guess that it is true for someone else building the solution as well.

I'm not good enough yet with C# to know how to teach it to remember those references from install to install. I've only really done some tutorials, minor projects and this service. I've done about 20 years for C/C++ though so understanding existing code and porting it to my environment is trivial so picking up a new language is trival. The environment on the other hand.....
Jun 27, 2007 at 5:05 AM

EdHarfmann wrote:
Check the references. Delete the reference and then add the reference again. (I've been browsing to the DLL files under bin\services.) I get that when I uninstall RStudio and then reinstall. I'll guess that it is true for someone else building the solution as well.

I am having trouble finding the reference for VEXRobotics.Proxy as needed by the VEXService project. I have resolved three other references but I'm not finding this one. Any suggestions where I can find this?

The following are steps I used to resolve the other reference problems:
Opened \Vex\VEX.sln solution file and the following error messages are shown indicating that the referenced components are not found: VEXHelper, RoboticsCommon.proxy, and VEX.Y2006.M12.Proxy.

When I open up the References in the VEX project it shows the VEXHelper reference is unavailable (shown with a warning symbol). I right clicked on this reference and removed it from the list. Then I right clicked on the References selection under the VEX project and chose Add Reference. I selected VEXHelper shown in the Projects tab.

The offending RoboticsCommon.proxy reference is shown under the VEXService project's References. Then I right clicked on the line with the warning and selected remove. Then I went to the References line under VEXService and right clicked to Add Reference. I chose the .NET tab and scrolled down to RoboticsCommon.proxy and selected that.

The VEX.Y2006.M12.Proxy doesn't seem to exist until selecting Rebuild Solution from the main Build menu. After the first Rebuild process the VEX.Y2006.M12.proxy.csproj file is created under the VEX\VEX\Proxy\ directory. I removed the VEX.Y2006.M12.Proxy reference from VEXService References and added the new reference in. This reference now shows up under the .NET selections.

Vince Thompson
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2007 at 11:59 PM
That sounds right to me. I needed to build Vex before I could reference it in VexService. This comes under my lack of knowledge of .Net projects. Is there a way to keep the reference so that the next build will come up correctly? I've tried the .net tab, but it doesnt show the reference until it's built as well.